Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Ring

No, I will not post a picture of my ring. You will have to use the power of your imagination. It's vintage 1905. I never bothered to learn the names of different cuts of diamonds, what the colors meant, etc etc. Why do girls bother? It's the man's job. Suffice it to say, the diamond is round. There are two smaller oval diamonds to either side, as well as some small sparks of diamonds embedded in the setting. It was the first ring I saw, it was the only ring I truly loved.

Before we started shopping for rings, I thought I could care less. The ring didn't matter to me - size, shape, whatever. I just didn't want anything gaudy or cheesey. Plain and simple all the way. Then I started trying rings on. Diamonds really are an enchanting thing. I was blown away. It's not to say I suddenly wanted something enormous - it's just that suddenly I was very excited at the prospect of wearing a diamond on my finger for the rest of my life and being able to look down at my hand at any time and be blown away all over again. I'm looking at it now. I'm blown away.

That said, I find it sort of crass that when I tell people I'm engaged they immediately look to the hand. I hate holding my hand up for people to see. It feels very awkward. I'm not sure I will ever get used it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home