Monday, September 26, 2005

The Pine Tree State




J. and I were engaged in early August - a good 14 months before we wanted to get married. For reasons unexplained, we are both adverse to the summer wedding. October was our ideal month, but wanting to marry in Maine, we worried about the cold. Plus, many of the places we were looking at were seasonal and closed in early October. So we've set the date for September 30, 2006. It makes zero sense, as J. will still be at Columbia and will have to skip classes for the wedding and we are deferring the honeymoon until after we both graduate, J. in Dec '06, me in Jan '07.

So given these 14 months to work with, one would think it would be easy to book a place. I thought we actually had time to work with. From day 1 my mother was emailing links The first place I showed any interest in was perfect - like summer camp without the bunk beds and communal bathrooms. Migis sits on Sebago Lake and is surrounded by acres and acres of forest. So my mother offered to call up and see what dates they had available for 2006. It seemed premature to me; we'd hardly started looking; J. and I had hardly had a chance to even talk about it with each other, but what was the harm? Well, Migis was already booked for ALL of 2006. Not a weekend open. I was outraged, devasted, and suddenly paranoid. We had to find a place right away.

A quick jaunt to Maine, a few mild breakdowns over cost, and we finally decided on
Newagen Inn. The web site sort of sucks, so I included some of the fifty pictures I took while we were there, which happened to be the most perfect weather of the whole the summer. The worst thing about this place is the pronunciation: new wagon. Then why not spell it that way?

We have the 30+ room inn to ourselves for the whole weekend. Some of the highlights: A game lodge which holds two bowling lanes among other things, a bonfire pit (and smores which J., who "doesn't list dessert" could care less about, which I deem highly important), hot tub & swimming pool (though chilly for late September), lawn games already planned for Friday afternoon, including croquet and wiffle ball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home