Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road is what I have to come to think of as a Bennington book - a book everyone talks about and you feel like an asshole for never having heard of it before or you have read it and love it and you feel robbed of any sort of feeling of ownership you felt you had. Jesus' Son, Civilwarland in Bad Decline, any book by Barry Hannah, etc etc. These are all Bennington books. Revolutionary Road is a book I'm willing to jump on the B'ton bandwagon for. However, second to the Age of Innocence, it is perhaps the worst book to read when you are newly engaged.

Thankfully, as opposed to Frank and April Wheeler, J. and I fully embrace the suburban lifestyle. We'd pick Connecticut over New Jersey of course, but would rather do without both. We fully embrace a New England suburbia, to be more precise. Where kids bike in the streets at night, Red Sox games are on the radio, and there's a Dunkin Donuts always within striking distance.

We are more for a revolutionary wedding. While we were looking for sites, we visited a place called Sebasco Resort in Boothbay Harbor, not too far from Newagen. They have a wedding planner there named Jan. Jan is also their interior decorator - not a fact I would be promoting if I wanted someone to plan their wedding with me. Jan has also been with the resort for some 10-15 years, so she knows how things are done. And let me tell you, she is not going to stray one bit. The one thing J. and I really want is a family style dinner. Everyone passing dishes around the table, getting to know each other, condusive to talking and friendly banter. I'm sorry I don't know your name, but could you please pass the peas? Sure, I'm J.'s cousin by the way. Oh, really? I'm H.'s cousin. What a coincidence. You get the idea. Who knew a family-style dinner made us such revolutionaries? Jan immediately wanted to know: Where had we seen such an idea? Jan made us feel as though we were the dumbest, most insane people to want to do such a thing. She was completely inflexible and we never looked back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I have never heard of any of those books you mentioned. Was there a memo?
Have you read "The Mansion on the Hill" by Rick Moody? I want you to get married there.

10:08 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

I have not read Mansion on the Hill. Who is Rick Moody? Just kidding. If the mansion is in New jersey where the only other book by him I've read is set, I want nothing to do with it.

Weren't you the one asking for reading list suggestions last semester?

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home