Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Hunt Begins

So, in anticipation of my mother and my sister-in-law (aka maid of honor - and for you sticklers, there will be no matron of honors in my wedding because I think that's a hideous name) visiting in a few weekends, I made a few "appointments" over the weekend. First let me say that all bridal dress shops have terrible web sites. Just the worst. How hard is it to show me some friggin dresses? If you're scared to show me some dresses, I'm really not interested. I have given in to the whole experience, though, and have decided to go to at least one completely intense dress shop and get my own dressing room and my own little attendant and try on all the big pouffy dresses I don't want to spend my money on.

I have settled on Kleinfeld's for this total immersion and have dreaded the decision ever since getting off the phone with them. When you call, they transfer you to the Appointment Department. There's a whole department devoted to making appointments. I've heard that they bus people in from Jersey to visit this store. After you settle on a date and time, they take your credit card number - you are not required to make a minimum purchase, but if you cancel your appointment, they charge you $50. So now I have to go. How could they require me to buy a dress which start at $1500? I found the whole experience rather offensive and I haven't even gone yet.

The other two appointments are at Selia Yang and Nicole Miller. The woman at Nicole Miller, just one woman named Amy handles the bridal stuff - a department of 1! - and she was extremely nice. She scheduled me in two weeks after I had requested because she said they'd be getting new dresses in that week and I'd have a better selection. I feel like Kleinfeld's would have tried to pawn the old junk off on me to keep it off the sale rack and to make room for the new stuff.

All the other stores look entirely too cheesey for me to handle, too expensive, too pouffy, too everything. So instead of making any more appointments, my plan is to wander around Soho and see if regular designers make white dresses that aren't necessarily "wedding" dresses. Crazy idea, I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home