Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sally and Jesse's Wedding

I admit that I went into Sally and Jesse's wedding yesterday with a bad attitude. It was raining - already this shows what a terrible friend I am: it was raining on their wedding day and I'm the one who's grumpy - so it made our drive from Brooklyn to West Chester, PA less than stellar and far too long. Plus the ceremony was scheduled to last an hour, which seemed extreme to me. What could possibly go on for an hour if they weren't Catholic? Then we had a strange bus ride to the church. The driver didn't know where he was going (his excuse being he was from Scranton, but I'm not sure why he didn't look up directions before arriving?) and after finally finding the place, backed up into a tree and then got stuck in the mud.

But the church itself was lovely. A large open room with wooden beams, old and communal. Jesse afterwards told me that they thought of the ceremony as a whole production. They had readings, musical performances, singing, and instructional lessons from a varied group of participants before the actual vows and exchange of rings. As all the best weddings are, it was very personal and thoughtful and emotional. If I hadn't had to pee so badly, it certainly wouldn't have felt like an hour.

Sally designed her dress. I wish I had a picture to post because it was beautiful and unique and not white. It was a gold strapless dress over pants with a red sash and a red shrug over top. Keeping with their chinese theme, their colors were red and gold, and Sally managed to look both modern and traditional all at the same time.

I feel like when I go to weddings I'm always looking for ideas to steal. While there were so many aspects of Sally and Jesse's wedding that I loved, nothing is really applicable to the wedding J. and I are planning. I loved what Sally wore, but I still want to go somewhat traditional white for my own dress. And I loved their ceremony, but J. and I still want to keep ours short and sweet. I will steal some of their music. I got some good ideas for the old iPod. Blister in the Sun went over really well and they played my favorite Stevie Wonder - Boogie on Reggae Woman. Not sure if that's the actual title. Their brunch this morning was also really nice, but since everyone will be staying at the same place for our wedding, brunch is sort of a given.

I kept wondering if it's raining like it was yesterday on my own wedding day, will I just burst into tears? I thought the weather was actually quite pretty. It was cozy and warm in the church and I think there's something comforting about being inside with loved ones while it's gray and stormy outside. But I suppose it doesn't help the pictures much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home